How Architectural Heritage Lives On
The All Saints Anglican church was located at the corner of King Street and Queen Street in Hamilton, Ontario. It was originally built in 1872, and featured a large stone tower. On September 24,1998, a devastating 5.4 earthquake hit Hamilton at 3:52 p.m. The support stones for the tower were badly damaged in the earthquake, which forced the removal of the stone spire.
In the fall of 2009, the church was declared unsafe and was closed due to instability of the structure. Unfortunately, restoration of the building was an impossibility for the small congregation. They temporarily moved to worship in a senior's facility, and are now worshiping at another local church.
The historic stone building was demolished in August 2016 to make way for condominiums, with plans for a worship space for the congregation included. The stone from the original building has been transported to Elora to be used in the restoration of the Elora Mill and its associated buildings.
The architectural and historic significance of the church is not forgotten, as its pieces will be used for the restoration of an important heritage site in Ontario.